November 4, 2009

10 Reasons I'm a Geek

Are you a geek?

Me? I am definitely a geek. I've compiled 10 fun facts that prove it.

If you find yourself nodding your head in recognition of any of the following, you just might be a geek, too.


1. I know the words to many of Monty Python's songs, especially the naughty ones.

Short list of songs I can belt out with style, on demand: Sit on my face, Isn't it frightfully good to have a penis?, Philosopher's drinking song, The meaning of life, I've got two legs, I like traffic lights, Every sperm is sacred, Camelot, The lumberjack song... And the list goes on.


2. I've been learning how to catalog books. I've been struggling with it because, really, what is the point of all these details and rules (I don't like rules)? Then last night we learned how to code them into a database.

Sweet!

When you put code around the information, all questions fall away - we need all the details and rules so that the information can be read by a computer.

That I get.

And it's fun to write code.

I also really enjoy HTML.


3. I read a disgusting number of lolz blogs. I know they're a waste of my time, but I can't resist them, especially when they're a WIN and they really bring the lolz.

I mean, come on, where else are you going to find stuff like this:

Yes. That is a man sharing a motorbike with a cow.

Short list of lolz I read: i can haz cheeseburger, i has a hotdog, roflrazzi, fail blog, engrish funny, pundit kitchen, up next in sports, people of walmart, my first fail, this is why you're fat, photo bomb, and there, i fixed it.

They're quick and they make me laugh... They're like the mini chocolate bars of the internet - they always taste like more.


4. I like video games.


5. I like comic books.


6. I have been known, although it is rare and always coincides with a re-reading of the books, to read Harry Potter fan fic. Not the naughty stuff, but the 'the story continues' stuff. I recommend this story.


7. I read the books I love (Harry Potter, Jane Austen, Jen Lancaster, Shopaholic, Bill Bryson, Margaret Lawrence, etc...) over and over (and over) again.


8. I am oblivious to office politics. I am also oblivious to certain social cues and painfully over-sensitive to others.


9. When I'm interested in something, I obsessively find out everything I can about it.


10. I have a blog.

.....

23 comments :

Cairo Typ0 said...

I'm not positive but i think we might be the same person! LOL

Sit on My Face is pure comic brilliance! I love singing it for people who aren't familiar with its genius. :D

Lee the Hot Flash Queen said...

Okay...I have a blog....

Tracie said...

Apparently I am a geek....and I thought that everyone did these things....

To prove my geekiness, when I read number 2, my first reaction was I want to catalog books! I want to code them into a database! Is this a job? Can I do this now? (could I actually get paid for this?) Why didn't I know that this fun thing was going on?..........and now, to #9, I would like to find out everything that there is to know about cataloging books. (my obsessiveness works well with my geekiness-they are best friends!)

One Cluttered Brain said...

You love HTML? Oh man I wish I was you. HTML gives me a headache.

We might have different taste in songs cause I'm not familar with any of those--except for monty python--classic show!!! I could watch that one again over and over.

And I have a blog.

Kids feeling better today?

elasticwaistbands said...

believe it or not, i've never watched monty python.

oh, but i do have a blog...

Mama Karebare said...

Im a geek

~jill said...

monty python!!!! i made my kids go see Spamalot with me and was so proud when they started telling their friends how great it was....


i'm pretty sure we could be best friends...lol

Daffy said...

Nope x10....whew! Good to know I'm not a geek....

kys said...

I wish I were geeky enough to enjoy HTML. I'm clueless about it. I do re-read books and become obsessed with things easily. My kids are full-fledged geeks (except for the Monty Python) (if their dad had any say-so around here, they would watch MP, too). My youngest loves the LOL blogs. (I have to censor them.)

Quirky said...

Okay, ditto on 3, 5, 7, 8, 9 and 10. I was not aware such a thing as 6 existed but now that I do, I'm sure I will add that to the list. Also checking into 1. The html I could take or leave...I can do it, but it isn't my favorite thing in the world. And I am hopelessly uncoordinated when it comes to video games. But everything else? Yeah, I'm there.

Jen said...

I am not really a geek but I do love a good geek. My hubby is totally one.

Erin M. said...

Okay, I guess I am not a geek by your definitions, although I would like to be (would love to learn those songs and would love to learn HTML/code/etc). I do have a blog. And I read the books I love over and over again, too....

I'll have to compile my own geek definition list!

Dawn@Embracing the Ordinary Life said...

I think I like you even more now...lol...Love the honesty!!

Holly said...

If I am not point on the list my hubby is so we are married geeks, and quite frankly hoping to raise kiddo geeks.

I need to learn html...so confused! Right now happy to be able to blog at all.

Holly

Elaine A. said...

I don't share that much from this list. But my hubby does! Y'all would have a great time together and be good friends, I'm sure! : )

Sass E-mum said...

My list runs along the lines of blog, HTML, Star Trek, Doctor Who, Buffy, knitting, Monty Python, embarrassingly direct at going to the source of rumours and gossip, knitting (that's the obsessive bit).

Definitely with you in geekdom.

The Blonde Duck said...

Totally with you on 9 and 10.

scrappysue said...

there's a little bit of geek (or in your case, a lot!) in all of us, and that's ok!!! i love monty python too - help! help! i'm being repressed!

Beck said...

I am a big geek. I've never tried to fight it, since coolness struck me as a) boring and b) unobtainable for social awkward me.

Let's see:
1) I know the songs of Monty Python.
2) I have worked in libraries.
3) lolz blogs! C'MON! FUNNY!
4)Video games are the most fun thing in the world.
5) Comic books leave me cold, though.
6) As does Fan fiction.
7) But if I like a book - yaaaay! BILL BRYSON! - I will read it dozens of times.
8) Yeah, that's me.
9) That's called "being smart."
10) What is this blog thing you speak of?

Menopausal New Mom said...

Hi, Erin referred your blog to me once she found out that I'm Canadian too!

Cute post and I have to say that I can relate to more things on your list than I care to admit.

Glad I found you! I'm looking forward to reading more :)

Does that make me a geek too?

Queenie Jeannie said...

I guess I'm only a lil bit geeky, lol! But I DO love me some naughty Monty Python!!!

mama-face said...

I have a blog!! bahaha

That says it all I think!

BigSis said...

You had me at #3 (and 4, 7, 9 and 10) Now I must learn more about #6. I'm in love with your blog!