October 1, 2009

Quick Update

I'm supposed to be working on my research paper.

I just wanted to post a quick update and thank you all - I threw my little tantrum and instead of telling me I was being an oversensitive, defensive asshole you patted me on the back, told me it was all okay and sent me kind wishes of coffee and chocolate.

I've since had coffee and chocolate and I'm no longer in a giant snit.

So... I have an update on the whole sordid story of the little crying girl. The woman who was on the playground and first spoke to the little girl? The one who called her kiddo? Is the child's mother!

So I'm at a complete loss to understand why she let her kid flip out like that all over the place without taking responsibility... but I'm hesitant to judge (which I am SO obviously doing anyway... my bad) because you never know when it's going to be you. You know? You just never know.

Haha. I'm amused by how many times I just used the word 'know'.

I realized it's not that funny but, then, I had very little sleep last night.

One more quick thing:

I'm writting my paper about the information available online on blogs and wikipedia - information that's published with any kind of official content control, fact checking or editing... I'm looking at how information professionals assess the information, how they use it in libraries and that kind of thing.

Turns out there's tons of stuff written about this topic, which is peachy since it makes my research easier.

And my point: I was reading a book about blogs and the guy said that personal weblogs are a waste of time.

I realize that a personal weblog doesn't usually offer an enormous amount of value in the area of academic research, but a waste of time?

A waste? Really?

Yeah. Bite me.

And that's all I have to say right now.

buh bye!

.....

12 comments :

Mama Karebare said...

MUah!

Jen said...

A waste of time!? Well I guess that depends on who you ask.

Mary G said...

Your blog is never a waste of time.
her MOther? What weird parenting book had she been reading, I wonders.

The Redhead Riter said...

Good luck on your paper.

MaryRC said...

she makes the bad mom list just for tolerating bratty behavior, that one is gonna be fun in about 2 more grades.

Sass E-mum said...

Tell that to the researchers using the social diaries of Mass Observation. MO asked women to keep diaries of wartime life in order to provide research material into civilian life during the war. Some of them continued to keep diaries long after the war was over - and what do you know... researchers love 'em.

Ours is as an independent, personal view of the world. I don't think it's a waste of time.

Erin M. said...

I'm totally floored. IT WAS HER OWN MOTHER?!?!? WTF?

And your blog? a waste? Never. Not in a million years. Not even mine. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Good luck on your paper & I'm glad it's going so well!

mama-face said...

I often wonder if blogging is a waste of time; and for me it has become a lot more important to me than I ever expected. People who throw out those kinds of opinions are far too judgmental to be credible.

I went for a long time thinking wikipedia must be somehow completely accurate until I learned differently. Maybe it's the sheer amount of information 'out there' that makes it impossible to control.

Well, I am rambling. Lots to think about. :)

Fresh Mommy said...

Hahaha, love your comment to that man's comment. I agree, not a waste!!

:)

~Tabitha

Parent Club said...

blogs aren't "academic" but they do note social trends and human relationships - so hello - sociology right there!

Elaine A. said...

Waste of time my A$$! OH and that' guy is one too. Whatever.

Glad you got your coffee and chocolate...

Working Mum said...

You are so funny. It's just like reading a stream of consciousness. I think the pertinent part of that post was the bit about having had very little sleep last night. You definitely need some!

Personal blogs a waste of time? Only in the sense that I waste a lot of time writing one and reading lots, but it's so much more interesting than watching the telly, don't you agree?