October 29, 2009

Ask the Reluctant Housewife - Travel Edition

Hello there!

I had a message from the always hilarious, clever and fabulous Daffy, who writes the blog Batcrap Crazy, today asking if I'd posted here recently. Daffy wasn't asking to nag me about my lax posting schedule, or to point out my faults (she was asking because she was worried her RSS reader wasn't working - Huh. If there's nothing new on Daffy's reader, I must not be the only bloggess neglecting to update her blog) but it still gave me a nudge. Thanks Daffy!

So let's jump right in, shall we?

Elaine from The Miss Elaine-ous Life (who has two boys and a brand new baby girl) and Jen from Buried With Children (who has triplets, plus a big brother to keep them company) took the time out of their obviously very busy schedules to ask where I'd like to travel if I could go anywhere.

I like to think of myself as adventurous, spontaneous and well-travelled, but the reality is that I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to travel. Exotic destinations kind of scare me - I worry about strange diseases, contaminated food and (this is the big one) enormous poisonous bugs and giant angry animals with sharp, sharp teeth. Canada is pretty safe when it comes to these things, you see. Almost none of our insects or reptiles are poisonous. We do have scary animals (grizzly bears, coyotes, polar bears (in the north), mounties) but I'm a city girl, so it's not really an issue.

Have you heard about all the stuff that can kill you in Australia? Have you heard about their crocodiles? Have you? They're terrifying. I learned about them in Bill Bryson's In a Sunburned Country. I wish I could quote it here, but I don't actually own a copy (which is ridiculous, I love Bill Bryson - there's a point at which religious library use becomes an issue... this is that point). Anyway, Bryson makes Australian crocodiles sound epically terrifying.

All this to say that my dream travel destinations are pretty tame.

I've never been to western Canada. I'd love to visit British Columbia. I'd like to tour Europe as well. I'm dying to go back to the UK. I want to visit Ireland. I want to go to New Zealand. NZ sounds amazing. It was described in my travel destinations class (back when I was studying Travel & Tourism) as containing all the worlds' climates on its tiny little self. I want to see the grand canyon and Las Vegas. I want to take the kids to Disney World. I want to go home and visit my family. I'd love to rent a cottage on the south shore of Nova Scotia. I'd like to spend some time in Montreal. And I'd like to visit Newfoundland.

But my #1 travel goal right now is to do a walking vacation in England. They have a great set up. The walks are gorgeous and often historic (with ruins and castles and English town and all that good Europy/British stuff) and there are tour companies who pick up and move your stuff from one inn to the next on your itinerary, so you don't have to carry it with you while you're walking. England has an extensive, well-established trail system. You spend your days walking and stop midday at an English pub for pub food and a pint. Yeah! That's my kind of adventure.


The brilliant Ami of Writing: My Life and Write Out Loud asked: Of all the places you've been in your life, what was your favorite and why?

Like I said in the previous question, I like to think of myself as well travelled. I've been to 6 countries (including Canada). I've visited all of the Maritime Provinces (extensively), Quebec city and Montreal in Quebec, and much of southern Ontario in Canada. I've visited Maine (especially Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor), New Hampshire, Vermont, New York City (several times on class trips), Boston (twice), Florida and Salt Lake City (I was there for a wedding) in the states. I've visited Iceland, Spain, France and England in Europe. I'm not exactly well-travelled, but I'm not a total newb either.

I'm really not good at picking favourites... and travel is no exception. I love Iceland. It's a magical place. Really special. We were there on a four day stop-over on our way home from visiting England and France. We stayed up all night driving around, exploring and visiting waterfalls (it didn't get dark... it was twilight for a while, though). In Spain, my favourite place was Ronda, a small town on a huge cliff-side up in the mountains in Southern Spain.

Ronda

We visited some Roman ruins, wandered the narrow, cobble stone streets and ate salmon in a little restaurant over looking a ravine. It was great. I love England. I just love it. I can't wait to go back, it's been years. France was gorgeous. We visited Paris and Brittany. Beautiful. I adore Canada, naturally. Gorgeous and so diverse. I'm from the Maritimes and I'm pretty sure I've visited just about everywhere. Highlights include: the Bay of Fundy (New Brunswick side), south shore of Nova Scotia, the Cabot Trail, Greenwich PEI, and the beaches on PEI's north shore, NB's eastern shore and the south shore of Nova Scotia. I also love the river valley in New Brunswick where I grew up. You can't find more beautiful scenery. Every single one of these is my favourite. I can't choose between them.

Now you share with me: What is your favourite travel destination? And where would you love to go if you could go anywhere?

If you've got a question you want me to answer, just put it in the comments.

Coming soon: Ask the Reluctant Housewife - Parenting Edition.

Mwah!

.....

11 comments :

Erin M. said...

If I could go anywhere...I'd go to Italy. I've never been and would love to go. I'd also love to visit Canada--haven't been there either!

I know it sounds incredibly morbid, but someday I want to visit Auschwitz and Dachau (concentration camps). I would also love to visit Anne Frank's house.

kys said...

I would like to go to Greece, Italy, England, France, on and on. Basically all the civilized (read: indoor plumbing, no threat of being gored by an elephant) countries. Where will I go? KC in March, Disney in April, NYC in April. Beyond that? My couch.

Fav. spot so far - Kaui. Would love to go back there.

Lee the Hot Flash Queen said...

I would go to Las Vegas, Anguilla, French Riviera. Right now, I'd like to go to the bathroom without kids! Oh, and Kansas City!!

Tracie said...

I have always wanted to go to England (I stick to countries with indoor plumbing, thank you very much!)

My mom's family is Canadian, so I have been there a couple of times, but I would like to go to Vancouver.

Cairo Typ0 said...

I'd love to hear about your trip to Iceland. That's one country Hubby really, really wants us to go.

Closer to home, i'd love to visit the west coast of canada. Yup, my own country and i've missed out on over half of it! *eek*

Daffy said...

Oh...welll...(toe scuffing) Shucks...it twernt nuthin.... just missed ya is all...


I enjoy walking to the mailbox.

Elaine A. said...

Thanks for answering! I think when I asked I still only had two kids... he he!

I want to go to Europe SOOO bad since I've never been. Mostly England and France and Italy (for the food and wine of course! Oh and the sights too...) We were perhaps going to go next month for our 10th anniversary but I got preggo instead! ; )

Someday... God willing!

Mama Karebare said...

I love your answers! Awsome.

Confessions Of A Working Mom said...

I'm with you on England; I just listened to a lecture series on CD(my car is the only place I get a chance to be a grown up these days) about the history of London, and now I'm itching to go.

But the Cappadocia region of Turkey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cappadocia) is my "must see" destination. It looks like such a fascinating place! Now only if I could find a babysitter who could watch the baby for two weeks!!!

http://www.confessionsfromaworkingmom.blogspot.com/

leigh said...

You are cordially invited to an award ceremony over at Leigh vs Laundry.
Get dressed up because you have an award waiting for you.

XO
Leigh
www.leighvslaundry.blogspot.com

Ami said...

Thanks for answering my question! If I could go anywhere, it would be Australia or Kenya. I've always wanted to see those two places and go on safaris and into the bush. I don't know why, and I'm not sure I'll ever get the chance, but I always dream about going.

My favorite places that I've traveled to are the Grand Canyon and Venice. There was also this amazing little lake in the Austrian Alps that we happened upon when we were driving back to Germany from Italy...we stopped to take pictures and just look at it, steaming and sparkling green in the center of the snow covered peaks. I love traveling and so wish I could do more of it.