October 23, 2009

Ask the Reluctant Housewife - Husband Edition

Well I really dropped the ball on this one, didn't I?

The story is that waaa-aaa-aaay back in August I told you that if you had questions for me, just put them in the comments and I'll answer.

And then I went back to school, and the kids went back to school, and life got kind of crazy, and I didn't get back to you.

That was kind of uncool of me.

But I'm getting back to you now, okay?

Good.

This time I'm going to answer the questions you asked about my marriage:


Theta Mom wanted to know: What has surprised you about marriage and what is something you didn't expect?

What surprised me most about marriage was that I noticed a difference in our relationship after we were married. I married my high school sweetheart. We got married in our early twenties, after we'd been together for 7 years and lived together for 3. It made sense to us to get married. We agreed that we would. There wasn't a lot of romance, or even a proposal, at first. My grandmother gave us her engagement ring. It had to be resized so we dropped it off at the jewelry place. A few weeks later Hubs said he wanted to go for a drive. He drove to the river and parked overlooking the yacht club and the cliff. I didn't think anything was up because we often stopped there to admire the boats and the water and the view.

This photo is from the yacht club website. Pretty spot.
It doesn't show the cliff, though.

We sat for a few minutes just taking it all in. Hubs reached into his pocket and pulled out a small red velvet box. He turned to me, opened it to display the ring and asked, "Will you marry me?" I hadn't even known the ring was ready. He picked it up secretly from the jewelry store so that he'd be able to surprise me with a proposal. I was delighted. It was a lovely moment.

We'd been together so long by the time we got married that I didn't expect anything to change. I was surprised by how much of a difference it made to me. Everything felt... more official, somehow... or something. It was good. I liked it. I don't believe that marriage is necessary to have a long-term committed relationship but, for me, it made a difference. That was a surprise.


Elaine from The Miselainous Life, who just had a beautiful baby girl (congratulations again, Elaine!) asked: how did you meet your husband?

I met my husband in high school. He was in my best friend's English class and she was always telling me funny stories about him and the things he'd said and done to make her laugh. One day, when my friends and I were standing in the hall, near the theatre, chatting and sharing a bag of chips, Hub and his friends were lured over by the call of our snackfoods. They scammed some of our chips and stayed to joke around for a while. Eventually, Hub's teasing went a bit too far and one of my friends grabbed his shirt in a playful 'I'll beat you into a pulp now for saying that to me' kind of way (if you know what I mean - it was high school, you've been there) and accidentally ripped off his top two buttons. He was embarrassed because his shirt was hanging open to expose his chest hair and he didn't want to sit in class like that. I said, "It could be worse... it could have been all your buttons." The bell rang and we all went to class.

The next day, I was sitting with my group of friends on the carpet blocks just outside of the cafeteria, eating lunch. Hubs and his friends joined us and we had a long conversation about super powers. I told the boys I had x-ray vision. We discussed the ins and outs of my special power (which did NOT allow me to see people naked under their clothes, but did allow me to see what they had in their pockets). After that day, he started showing up at my locker between classes to walk me to class. We talked on the phone every evening. We combined our two groups of friends to hang out that weekend. Two weeks after we met, he asked me to the Valentine's Day dance. We shared our first kiss that night and we've been together ever since.


And now, dear readers, tell me about yourselves... Tell me how you met your partner, husband, best friend, pet... anyone who's important to you.

And if you'd like to add a question, just put it in the comments.

Coming soon: Ask the Reluctant Housewife - Travel Edition.

Mwah!

.....

9 comments :

Daffy said...

I love reading bits and pieces of the stories that make up the person behind the blog. Life is about that you know...the bits and pieces.

Hubs and I have a great story I think. Ours is one of those 'Isn't that romantic' kind of stories. I think I'll save it for a blog post because I'm ready for bed right now. At least I'm headed to the pillow with a good memory.

Thanks....

kys said...

That's really sweet that you have been together so long. My parents started dating when they were 14 and have been together ever since. (They are 73 now.) I don't want to say too much about my hub right now because I'm kind of irritated with him. (surprise, surprise)

scrappysue said...

awwww, you guys are so cute! our families actually knew each other. our dads worked together, so we kinda 'knew' each other, but didn't get together until we met up at 'st john ambulance' which is kinda like girls and boys brigade with a first aid emphasis. we've been together since i was 17 - almost 30 years!!!

Holly said...

I love hearing how people meet...it fascinates me. I lov eyour story. My hubby and I met through friends (she and I went to High School together and later she and my hubby worked together - with her future hubby too...was that confusing?). It is a long story, but she didn't want us to date really...she thought we would be horrible for each other...she set him up with literally every one of her single friends except me...see what she knew...12 years married!
Holly @ 504 Main

Cairo Typ0 said...

That story of how you guys met is so cute. And a first kiss on VDay? Awwwww Seriously sweet!!

I met Hubby in a chatroom online about 14 years ago. :)

Erin M. said...

We talked about how you met JP when we first "met." And I still love hearing it. It's so doggone romantic & sweet.

Dan and I met on a blind date. He had just moved to New Orleans and was an intern. He asked his boss if he knew any "nice Jewish girls" to set him up with. They said yes (thinking of me). We had dinner at a little Italian place and he was so cute and funny. On our second date I kissed him. I think that sealed the deal. We had our first date just over 10 years ago. We've been married for 7 1/2 years.

ModernMom said...

That is one truly sweet story!

Tiffany said...

just found your blog and love it! new follower!

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

i married my hs sweetheart too and divorced him 9 years ago

ahhh sweet love

can't believe i wasn't following you! oopsy! now i am!