June 2, 2009

Wet

I took the kids to soccer in the rain yesterday.

When we left home it was barely raining; just a light drizzle. As the evening wore on it became a full-on downpour. Monkey's age group played first. They had a great time running around in the wet, muddy grass. Buddy joined in with Monkey's team for a while until his shoes were squelchy wet. Buddy was not impressed with the feeling of wet shoes and sat with me until it was time for his age group to play.

As Buddy's game started, Monkey found Buddy's best friend's mom, who was sitting under an umbrella and curled up in her lap where it was dry. She told him knock knock jokes and he repaid her with his big belly laughs. Buddy ran around after the ball in his squelchy shoes, his t-shirt changing from light to dark gray as the rain fell. For the second half of his game Buddy was in goal. He stood, shoulders hunched, shoes wet, with water dripping off of his hair and down his face until the end of the game. The ball didn't come anywhere near him.

For two hours, I stood on the sidelines with water dripping off of my hat onto my nose and off of my jacket and sinking into my jeans, watching the kids play. Gradually, I realized I hadn't been that cold, wet and miserable since 1993. 1993, frosh week, Shinerama to be exact. My Shinerama group was sent to do a car wash in the rain. A car wash on a rainy day is a wet, wet place.

We were car wash on a rainy day wet last night. We were iceberg cold.

By the end of Buddy's game the kids were miserable and I was asking myself why we'd stayed as long as we did. I encouraged the frozen, dripping children across the field and into the car by telling them we were super heroes and the rain was the bad guy and we weren't going to let the bad guy stop us, were we? "I can't do it!" Monkey wailed, dragging his feet. It looked like the bad guys had won. But Buddy, a true super hero, took Monkey's hand and pulled him along while I struggled with the bag of extra jackets and snacks and the two lawn chairs which were, by then, too wet to sit on. We made it to the car, I buckled Monkey into his seat and turned the heat on full blast.

At home I put the boys in a warm bath and I sat on the edge of the tub with my feet in the water. Warm at last.

I'm not sure I'm cut out for this soccer mom thing. It's crazy hard core.

.....

9 comments :

Cairo Typ0 said...

Frosh week was awesome!! I still remember all my house's cheers, songs, rallying cries, and even my frosh name. :)

Now you youv'e mentioned it i remember raising money for Shinerama but i can't remember what we did other than leaping out in front of moving cars a lot. :)

Thanks for the happy memories! :)

Lisa Chelle said...

Who said this soccer mom life was cake, huh?

Merrily Down the Stream said...

Way hard core!

jasmine said...

That is dedication!

little red hen said...

Ya, been there. I don't know which is worse - the cold, wet rain or the searing, relentless sun beating down on you making you feel like you've just dragged yourself out of the desert. Hope it get better for you. One of the parents at our games used to bring a rye & ginger. Maybe that's the trick.

CC said...

Dude. I'm glad someone has super powers around here....

We just finished The Flash's 1st month of soccer. And amazingly it only rained once during practice. Once. In an area infamous for rain. If we continue this soccer thing I don't think we'll continue to be so lucky.

Maybe we should just stick with indoor sports???

Jenn said...

You could be really crazy like me and volunteer to coach, which translates into "you have just given up the right and freedom of choice to not attend rainy games, or leave early when you are soaked to the bone and so cold your afraid to move your limbs for fear they may chip off your body like icicles!"
Oh well, it's all for the kids. Right?

resplendentlife said...

Wow, you are a good one. I think we would have forfeit. Of course, I can comfortably say that since my kids are wee little ones.
I found you through SITS and LOVE your 'About Me'. It could be mine, really.

scrappysue said...

preachin' to the choir....i KNOW how you feel. 2.3 deg this am - white stuff everywhere