January 29, 2009

Winter Wonderland or Frozen Fright?


Icicles worry me. Last year, in our old hometown, icicles were everywhere. Check it out here.


This year icicles have followed me home and are watching me through my bedroom window.

View from my bedroom window.
That big one is around 10cm across; this picture doesn't do it justice.


They look deadly to me. And they can be, just look at this article from CityNews.ca.


Anyway. Here's some more pictures of the frozen world that lives outside my windows:

The ice shelf that lives on the roof over my back door. It's what the enormous icicles outside my bedroom window are hanging from.



More icicles.



The stairs in my backyard completely buried in snow.
This picture doesn't do the depth of the snow justice. The stairs are 4 steps high. The snow is even with them (and piled on top). That's pretty deep.
Luckily we don't use our backdoor, rendering the death-icicles hanging over it harmless.




Backyard again. The lump is what's left of a snowman we built months ago.




The boys' window. Look at the pile of snow on the sill.



Trees in front of the house.



Up the street. The snow is piled higher than the cars are tall.


So, what do you think? Is it a winter wonderland or a frozen fright?

.....

7 comments :

echoeve said...

It is a frozen fright. I don't miss the snow, and ice at all.

However, when I was a kid we would break the ice off and eat them.

mommy4life said...

Wonderland if you can stay in and look out and oh and ah - or go sledding, etc.

Fright if you have to drive anywhere...

Heather said...

Same snow...different pile. Backing out my driveway is like playing russian roulette

Michelle said...

Oh I'm definitely in the frozen fright side of the debate. I knock off any icicles that come my way for just the reason you mention. It sounds like you need to head for a vacation somewhere warm!

And thank you so much for coming to visit my blog. Today has been so much fun and so lovely to see the response and fun comments. I really appreciate it. I hope you enjoyed my blog and come back to visit soon!

Shirliana said...

It's a wonderland if you like the feeling of freezing cold winds slashing across your face like a razor blade... Nope! Not me. :)

It's a fright - no other word for it. It can disguise itself in fluffy mounds that sometimes glisten in the sun and look inviting - however I know better!

scrappysue said...

winter wonderland - SO MUCH SNOW!!! those icicles are only dangerous if you lie under one and wait for summer.....hehe

CC said...

frozen fright! Those icicles make me think of Vampires for some reason.... maybe Vampire teeth??