January 14, 2009

All the News That's Fit To Meh

It's cold today.

Which might not be a surprise considering it's winter n'all and I live in Canada (and not on the West coast) n'all.


But, I mean, like, It's REALLY cold today. Newsworthy type cold. It's -39C (with wind chill). For those of you who follow Fahrenheit (I don't know how you can - I can't figure it out) that's... Like OMG! It's, like, practically the same damn temperature! Crazy! -39C is (wait for it... wait for it...) -38.5F. And that's cold. Am I right? (The valley girl is strong in this one mmmm yes. Shop with you she will mmmm yes).

In this kind of cold, you take a deep breath and your nose hairs freeze. In this kind of cold, you find your car is covered in snow - even though it's parked in the garage. In this kind of cold, children arriving at school are rushed inside so that their noses don't freeze and fall off.

It's cold.



THIS JUST IN: Boys are like puppies

We were invited to lunch with a nice couple Hubby knows from work. And by "we" I mean Hubby, me AND the kids.

The nice couple don't have children. The nice couple, I'm fairly sure, have never met children before.

We were trying Dim Sum for the first time. The nice couple are Dim Sum experts. It was their thing to go for Dim Sum brunch every Saturday. I was excited to try it. And it was great. We sat at the table and the waitstaff came around with carts of delicious looking food and we picked out the dishes we wanted to try. The kids were not very impressed with the food, but they were well-behaved. The adults enjoyed adult conversation, some of which I managed to follow in between helping the kids with the food and reminding them to use utensils and to not yell, jump up and down, sing too loudly or run around the table - you know, the usual kind of restaurant reminders. Near the end of the meal the boys started to get a little antsy. I suggested that it was time to go, before they reached full-out energy explosion mode.

As we were getting ready to leave the boys were hopping about, hanging off of Hubby's arms, giggling and joking around. The girl half of the nice couple watched them with confused amusement. She was obviously trying to figure them out. What are kids like? As she watched the boys leaping about and rolling on the floor, recognition dawned on her face.

"Oh!" she said, "they're like puppies!"



And in other news...

I arrived home from dropping the boys off at school. I grabbed a second cup of coffee and sat down in my chair (the one in my work area) and put my feet up. I picked up my computer and settled it in my lap (a true laptop). Around me - mess and unfinished projects, but right now I'm not concerned with that. Right now I'm blogging.

All is right with the world.



Have a great day everyone!

.....

6 comments :

mommy4life said...

Came by from SITS! I have four children and am always amused when we have a couple without children for dinner or go to their house. The best is when you go to their unchildproofed house and pray that nothing gets broken. Comparing them to puppies is interesting!

Lucy Diamond said...

Oh yes! Boys are definitely like puppies - gorgeous and cuddly, but they do need to go outside and run around quite often, in my experience. And as for peeing everywhere...
Love the blog, btw. Hope you are managing to keep warm!

Sass E-mum said...

You are a blogging demon. I turn around and suddenly you've blogged about poetry (twice) and puppies.

Thanks for the kittens. Phew, nearly lost me there.

So glad to know you are enjoying the easy chair and blogging in comfort.

Debbie Y. said...

Boisterous, ungainly, certainly not well-trained puppies. I have seen little girls like that as well though, but mostly boys. Boys have more bark than bite, but little girls can be tenacious. Boys are so truly uninhibited. That's what makes them so amazing.

Elaine A. said...

Like puppies??? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA... sorry, I can't... HA HA HA HA... help myself.... HA HA HA HA....

Yeah honey, they're just like puppies.... HA HA HA HA....

Merrily Down the Stream said...

They are like puppies and then they grow up and become dogs - sniffing and humping... Not our boys of course... (o;