December 30, 2008

Anniversary - 10 years!

The year is 1998, on the cusp of a new year: Dec 31st... The scene is an odd little golf clubhouse garden in Florida, chosen by my father-in-law because he owns the little house where we've all been staying in the fun-times-and-theme-park-heavy week leading up to the ceremony.




My Dad and I wait inside while the rest of the family gathers together. He takes my arm and we walk out of the building, around the pool and toward the arch at the water's edge, cracking "here goes nothin'" jokes and laughing the whole way. I'm wearing a red velvet floor-length evening dress. Dad is in a suit.


The arch is decorated with pink and white balloons and waiting under it are my brother (as my bride's man), Hubby's brother (as best man) and Hubby, all looking grown up and handsome in their suits. Behind them stands Big Judge Thunder, an enormous brick wall of a man with white hair who towers comically, in distinguished judge's robes, over the rest of the men. Nearby stand my parents, Hubby's parents, my grandmother, my great-aunt and my brother's wife (then girlfriend).


My Dad hands me over to Hubby and Big Judge Thunder leads us through our marriage ceremony. We kiss. And the rest is history.






Happy 10 years, Hubby! It's been swell! And here's to 10 more!


Interesting side note:

I wore the dress I was married in two years later to a company Christmas party:

and won us a honeymoon to Spain!

That's one LUCKY dress.


And Hey! Go check out my cool handmade Christmas ornaments at Lulu's Hook.

And Hey! I've been married for ten WHOLE years. Can you believe it? I can't... quite. I really must be getting old. Ha!


Edited to ad: And Hey! I'm linking this post to Wordful Wednesday because... why not? It has words and pictures, after all.

For more Wordful Wednesday go to:


.....

14 comments :

Jean said...

I enjoyed reading your reluctant housewife thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

Laura said...

Congratulations RH! Here's to many more.

Judge Thunder looks HUGE!

Laura x

scrappysue said...

happy anniversary mel! did you get something made out of tin???

Working mum said...

Aww, how sweet! Yes, one lucky dress. Wear it next time you buy your lottery ticket, you never know ......

Barely Domestic Mama said...

Happy Anniversary!

Mama Kat said...

You should start wearing that dress weekly. You'll be millionaires by 2010. :)

Heather @ Not a DIY Life said...

Happy Anniversary! Thanks so much for sharing your happy memories.

Love your "reluctant housewife" title. Happy New Year!

Ami said...

Merry Christmas, Happy Anniversary and Happy New Year. Wishing you love, healthy, happiness and success (whatever that means to you) in the New Year!

Thanks for being a great blog friend and for sharing your life with us!

Elaine A. said...

Oh my goodness, I loved "going" to your ceremony with you! ; ) Thanks for sharing...

Happy Anniversary to you two!

Live.Love.Eat said...

So cool! Happy Anniversary!!!!!

And Happy New Year!!!

Jenni Jiggety said...

Happy Anniversary and Happy New Year!

Liz (Loving Mom 2 Boys) said...

That's wonderful!! Happy 10 years!!!

SabrinaT said...

Happy Anniversary. What great photos..

The real L.A. love story. said...

just found your site through some other natural living blog and i love your reluctant housewife thingy. i actually used that to describe myself too and am looking forward to reading about your day to day since i am going through a very similar phase.