November 13, 2008

Strange and Wonderful Occurences of Retail Exploration

Want to come along with the Reluctant Housewife family on a few shopping trips?

I know you do!


Let's get going... First to Ikea!

Hubby and I decided to make a Christmas shopping trip to Ikea last weekend. The idea was to put the kids in the ball room while we shopped at leisure for a parents-only happy-happy-joy-time hour.


The first thing that struck us, when we walked through the front door, was all the Christmas decorations. The boys were very excited to see the Christmas trees.

Fa la la la la


la la la laaaa


This tree even had presents. "PRESENTS!"

When we went to register at the ball room, there was a 45 minute wait. The boys were determined to have their fun, though, so we signed up and were given a pager to notify us when two spaces had opened up.

We walked around the corner and found one of the living room set-ups, complete with toys and books. So we sat down and made ourselves comfortable to wait out our 45 minutes in peace (much to the amusement of the other shoppers, I'm sure: "What are these people doing?" "They do realized they're not actually at home, don't they?").

Hubby, in true Dad fashion, settled himself in the armchair.
He grabbed The House at Pooh Corner and read aloud to the kids.
Buddy is holding our pager.


The birdie especially enjoyed the story.


I settled myself on the couch.


And the kids played with the toys.


The boys invited some friends to tea.


Buddy set the table.


And Monkey served.

After about 30 minutes, our pager went off. We dropped the boys off at the ball room and enjoyed a kid-free hour of shopping. At the end of the hour, our pager went off again and we collected the kids - who were wiggly and excited and full of fun after their hour in kidworld.

Post ball room re-hydration.
Don't worry, it's water not coffee.


--------------------------

Hubby and I have been wanting to visit a local antique shop. It's a three story building jammed to the gills with unique items, jumbled together in no logical way. Many of the items are breakable, so we didn't feel we could go when the kids were with us. We took the opportunity to pay it a visit on Remembrance Day morning, while the kids were at school. Hubby and I wandered the interior while I covertly snapped some pictures with my cell phone.














What a great place!


---------------------------

Monkey's been asking to go to Cora's for lunch after school for weeks and, since Hubby had the day off for Remembrance Day, it seemed like a perfect opportunity. While we were waiting for our food to be served, Monkey and I amused ourselves by taking pictures.












"Take a picture of my boot, Mommy!"


Does this picture remind you of anything?



Thanks for tagging along! It's been fun.

.....

9 comments :

Sass E-mum said...

I was waiting for when the boys break some Christmas decorations. But it didn't happen! It must just be Peaches who does that.

Great trip.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Girl, I have Ikea envy!!

Merrily Down the Stream said...

The resemblance is uncanny!

Amanda said...

I wish we had an ikea as well. So sad. I don't have any sort of place that will watch the kids while I shop. If I did that place would get ALL of my money, for sure.

Wendy said...

sounds like fun shopping!

Suzanne said...

Hey! So, I'm that annoying "lurking reader" who has been reading your blog for the longest time. And I love it!!

Well, I finally started my own blog(which is still in its stuttering starting phase) and was tagged....so you know the drill

YOU'VE been tagged!!
The rules:
1) Link to the person who tagged you.
2) Post the rules.
3) Share seven random or weird facts about yourself.
4) Tag 7 random people at the end of the post with their links.
5) Let each person know they've been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

Elaine A. said...

I'm loving how y'all just made yourselves at home in the vignette at IKEA! I've SO wanted to do that before. Maybe now I will...

A couple of those look like they'd make good Christmas card pictures! ; )

CC said...

We love Ikea shopping!!

But you can have a pager to wait for the kids room? We just have to stand in line and wait and wait and wait!

Tirzah said...

That is just too funny! Maybe you helped some people see that the "room" was livable! Ha! I could spend sooooo much money at Ikea!