November 10, 2008

A Beautiful Mess

I wasn't feeling well yesterday afternoon. Hubby offered to take the kids to the gym so that I could go to bed. The boys and Hubby were on their own for the entire evening.

The boys have been using a large piece of cardboard as a "clubhouse". It's been living under our dining room table. I haven't had the heart to get rid of it, even though it looks a mess. Yesterday, while I was resting in bed with my cold and Hubby was in charge, the boys got a hold of the free flyers that inevitably arrive at our place every weekend. They started cutting them up and gluing them to their clubhouse as decorations. They also spent a lot of time drawing pictures, gluing them together and cutting them out.


The end result?



This is what greeted me this morning:




Terrifying, right?


At first I was discouraged by the hugeness of the mess. Then I was angry that nobody thought to clean this up before bed.


Then I took a closer look.



And, among the chaos, I found beauty:














This teddy bear was decorated
on the front...


And on the back.
With green fur.


I haven't cleaned it up yet. Later on, when both my boys are home from school, I'll have them sort through the mess and put aside the important bits they want to keep. I don't feel qualified to sort this beautiful mess... And I always did have a soft spot for creative types.

.....

12 comments :

CC said...

Those creations are so cool! But the mess. I would have DIED!!!

Beth said...

Those drawings are adorable. My kids have done similar messes - google eyes everywhere and glue - multiple container's of elmer's glue - everywhere...But - when you see how proud they are of the one thing they made out of the mess it melts your heart, well, mine at least...Beth

Elaine A. said...

Yeah, pretty much can't be mad at that. Such talented little lads you have there! : )

Alexis Jacobs said...

You have a great outlook on this! I would still be screaming...

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

Awww...thats so sweet. I'm not so sure I could have handled it this way.

here from SITS....you were the commenter above me.

Just Call Me Sleep Deprived said...

That's not a pretty site to wake up to!! But those little creations are so sweet, I also have a soft spot for creative kids :)

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

OH. MY.

That is so stinking cute. And dare I say I think you have some budding picasso's on your hands!

georgie said...

OMGosh yessssss concentrate on the treasures you found...cuz i would be balled up ina fetal position if I saw that....stopping by from SITS to say Hi!

Queenie Jeannie said...

My head started throbbing just seeing that first picture of the MESS!!

But you are right, it IS a beautiful mess and your children made lovely artwork! It didn't occur to Daddy to pick up???

AndreaLeigh said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Yes, that mess looks overwhelming but what a proud mama you must be of that art work.

Melissa said...

I love, love, love the creativity of children!! It's so funny how a big piece of cardboard, a bunch of papers & markers can keep the kids occupied!! (and yet, we still "buy" them lots of toys)

Merrily Down the Stream said...

I feel you Girl. Welcome to my life! If only I could learn to ALWAYS see the beauty! Sometimes - yes. sometimes - not so much.