September 5, 2008

Do Your Makeup and Get Into Your Metallic Cat Suit because ANTM is Back!


America's Next Top Model, the funniest show on television, is back for another season.

With lines like "You're only going to have 5 minutes to do your makeup and get into your metallic cat suits," (which is what Jay tells the girls before their first photo shoot) and "I've been chosen to represent a bureaucracy but hee-hee I don't really know what that is..." how can you not love this show? Where else does this level of crazy exist? I love how they all take themselves and the show so seriously, I love the over-the-top photo shoots, I love the crazy hair and makeup, I love the way the girls sqweeeeee! every time they see the Jays, or Tyra, or just about anybody, really.

But my favourite part is a moment that happens over and over again on each season of the show. It is when Tyra explains "the squint" to the models. According to Tyra, the models should squint their eyes every so slightly in their photos so that they'll appear more "present". This way, Tyra explains, they'll look like they're thinking about something which will, in turn, allow them to make a connection with whoever is viewing the photo.

The moment goes like this: "It's the difference between this," Tyra will tell one of the models popping one shoulder forward with widened eyes, "and this," she'll finish popping the other shoulder and squinting her eyes ever so slightly. Then she asks, "Do you see the difference?" while she sweeps her hands under her chin like she's presenting the grand prize on a game show.

It's the difference between...

this

and
this.

Do you see the difference?


And then I fall over laughing.

I know that as an intelligent adult woman I should hate this show for many obvious reasons, but the whole great big over-the-top mess makes me laugh. It's just so silly. And I love to laugh so I love the show. I just can't help myself.

.....

7 comments :

scrappysue said...

i can't STAND that programme! it's so over the top and they take themsevles so seriouly and tyra has just about got to be the most self-serving person on tv, and i know it's all crap and i should relax and have a laugh, but 30 seconds of watching it i near about have an aneursym and my girls yell at me because i stand behind them while they are TRYING to watch it,and say lots of really negative things! people are starving in the world and this rubbish is on!!! i know, i know - i take myself almost as seriously as they do hehe. if you enjoy it, then it's not for me to say - eeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! i see mel!!!!!!

miss 19 once offered to cook me an entire meal if i could sit through the entire hour without saying anything negative. i lasted 6 minutes (and i burst a vein in the process).....

Elaine A. said...

This is what my husband and I like to refer to as a complete "train wreck." I just can't watch Tyra but I totally understand watching a train wreck every now and again.

Amanda said...

I so love ANTM, too. I have no idea why, but I am totally sucked into that show everytime it is on. Heaven help me when there is a marathon on VH1.

Misplaced Country Girl said...

FINALLY! Someone that watches that show and for the exact same reasons I watch it. Yay!

echoeve said...

I love that show. I love the make up the pictures the cat walk and most of all the back stage drama.

My favorite one every year is when they do the make overs. Hee hee

samsmom said...

It IS a hoot, isn't it? I've caught it a few times and I watch because it's just so mind bogglingly irritating - you just can't look away!!

Angi said...

It is a guilty pleasure for me. Very funny! I so hated that fake "futuristic" set-up on the first hour - I was laughing the whole time. And to think Cover Girl would take a transgender model - really?