September 4, 2008

A Bit of a Scare and Some Successful Travel

On the last full day of our visit home we were trying to figure out what to do for the day. There was a toonie matinee of Kung Fu Panda at the local movie theatre. Even though we'd already seen the movie, I asked the kids if they'd like to go. Monkey was interested but Buddy, much to my surprise, said that he'd rather just stay at Granny's house. He said he wanted to do activities.

Aside: Have you seen Kung Fu Panda? I love it. It's adorable and fun. And fairly exciting too, with great Kung Fu fight scenes. It's also beautifully animated. Jack Black is hilarious as Po the panda ("I'm not just a big fat panda. I'm THE big fat panda."). The movie also features the voice talents of Angelina Jolie, Lucy Liu, Jackie Chan, Seth Rogen, Dustin Hoffman, among others. I mean, come on! Where else are you going to see a cast like that? Seriously, it's great. Remember to tell the theatre that you shouldn't have to pay because, as Po said, "There's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness." Now go see it, or I'll have to use the Wuxi finger hold on you. Skadoosh!



And now back to our story:

Granny suggested that I take Monkey to the movie. She and Buddy could play dominos, colour pictures and play games on the computer (AKA activities). At first I didn't think it was worth going, just Monkey and I, especially since we'd already seen the movie (twice). After thinking about it for awhile, I agreed because Granny and Buddy have always had a special relationship and they hadn't had a chance for much one-on-one time lately. Shortly before I left, though, Buddy started to complain that he had a headache. He's never had a headache before but I thought he was probably just over-tired. We'd been on vacation time, after all, so we'd had some fairly late nights visiting all the fam-peeps. I sent him downstairs to lie down and rest.

When Monkey and I arrived home from the movie, Buddy was still asleep. I went down to check on him and discovered that he felt really warm to the touch. I got a thermometer and took his temperature. 102.2. He said his head really hurt. Headache, fever... Paranoia set it and I asked Buddy to try to touch his chin to his chest. He did. "Ouch," he said.

"Is your neck stiff?" I asked

"Yes and a bit sore," he said.

"Okay," I said while my in my head I was thinking "Ah! Doctor! Now!"

I called the local after hours clinic to get him an appointment to see a doctor. But when I described his symptoms the nurse-type-person-who-answers-the-phone-and-makes-the appointments at the clinic told me:"With those symptoms you should take him directly in to the walk-in clinic at the hospital."

So that's exactly what I did, as fast as humanly possible (as in right away). We saw the triage nurse immediately and settled down, with Buddy stretched out on a chair all headachy and sleepy-eyed with his head in my lap, in the waiting room. We only had to wait a few minutes to see a doctor (amazing, no?).


The doctor examined Buddy and much to my relief told me that he didn't have meningitis or listeria. I was so relieved... I can't even tell you. The doctor said that Buddy had a virus - yup... basically a cold. I overreacted... but still, better safe than sorry. He had swollen glands in his neck, which was what was making his neck and head hurt. He also had a fever.


We went back to Granny's and Buddy went to bed. Around 10pm, Buddy threw up. I worried about whether or not we'd be able to fly home the next day. Buddy had a fever, he'd vomited and he'd lost his sparkle. I kept picturing having to travel with a puking, feverish kid... That's no fun for anybody. I check the rates for flight later in the week and, because it was coming up to the long weekend, they were insane. If we had to change our flights, we'd have to pay the difference in the price of the flights plus a $150.00 change fee. Each. I was looking at $1500.00, minimum. I decided to wait and see. I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.

In the morning, on the day we were supposed to fly home, Buddy seemed much better. The sparkle was back in his eyes. He played all day and in the early evening, right before we boarded our plane he told me that his head was starting to hurt a bit again. No fever, though. He took some kids' Tylenol and he was fine for the rest of the trip. Yay! It was like a labour day miracle!

Our flight home went really well. We didn't have a direct flight, our flight plan involved changing planes in another Atlantic Canada city. The plane from New Brunswick to another Atlantic Canada airport was crazy. It was the smallest plane ever. No lavatory on board; no flight attendant. Just a pilot and a co-pilot and a centre aisle with one seat on either side, nine rows long - a total of 18 seats. TINY. But the flight was fine and it was only 45 minutes long. The pilot invited the boys into the cockpit after the flight. They were very excited to see all the controls and dials.


The airport in another Atlantic Canada city was great. It was full of little play areas for kids. The kids planted themselves in the play area at our departure gate and amused themselves for the 40 minutes until we boarded our next flight. The plane, our plane to home, was awesome. It had TVs in the back of each of the seats. They had an assortment of programs to watch. Monkey watched the Backyardigans, Little Bear and Rolly Polly Ollie. Buddy watched Backyardigans and an anime kids' show that I didn't recognize. I watched Fool's Gold, a real hollywood movie for grown-ups. I purchased some snacks. We munched and watched and had a great time all-in-all, especially considering we were belted into our seats and hurtling through space. It was great.


Hubby was at the airport to meet us when we arrived. The boys ran to him yelling, "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" earning them many smiles from people who were waiting for their luggage. We hardly had to wait for our luggage at all. We drove home and the boys went straight to bed.

I have absolutely nothing to complain about... and I didn't even have to yell at any random Air Canada employees. It could not have gone better. Can you believe it? The ease of it all leaves me with very little to blog about regarding our trip home. Happy stories are never as interesting, are they?

Buh-bye for now! Don't forget to comment!
xoxo

.....

8 comments :

echoeve said...

I like when there are no problems. Sorry to hear the little one is sick.

Katie said...

So great that everything went well on the flights home! Every parent's dream.
(also I think you have a Buddy name reveal in there, just in case that was an accident)

Ami said...

Glad the trip home went well.

I love airports, but not always the flying. And I liked Fools Gold, too. It was a fun movie.

Sass E-mum said...

that was a scarey hospital visit - a cold virus can be such a GOOD thing.

It's a relief to have a good travel experience.

Reluctant Housewife said...

Thanks for the head's up, Katie!

Melanie said...

You are completely right, better safe than sorry because meningitis can take a life in just a couple days. My nephew had it when he was an infant and thank God, they caught it. He was already at the hospital with RSV. So happy for you that it turned out to be only a virus.

Blessings!

Amanda said...

I would rush right to the er, too. Very scary.

Aside from that, isn't it nice to sometimes get to spend a little alone time with the younger ones once in a while. I don't get too much alone time with Jackson, but when I do, I enjoy the heck out of it.

Elaine A. said...

Glad that Buddy felt better and just had a virus. Oh and that you had such a pleasant travel experience.

So you love the Kung-Fu Panda, huh? Guess we'll have to rent it...