September 8, 2008

The Bind that Binds

I feel like maybe I want to go back to work.

I've been a stay at home mom for YEARS now and, to be perfectly honest, it's getting old. My kids are both in school this year (although Monkey's only in half days) and I'm thinking now is as good a time as any.

But, it's not that easy. There are a few things standing in my way:

1. I don't have a job to go back to. The job I had when I was pregnant with Buddy was my first real career job. The only career job I've ever had, actually... I worked at a travel wholesaler doing what amounted to data entry. Even though it was basically a glorified data entry position, I was using my travel and tourism diploma. That job was in Toronto. I left it when Hubby and I moved back the New Brunswick to have Buddy. There was no going back a year later, when my mat leave was up, because we lived 1800km away.

2. The other jobs I've had were call centre customer service jobs. I flat-out refuse to work in another soul-sucking call centre job. I would work in travel/tourism if I could get a job but they're not as-dime-a-dozen as they were pre 9/11, 2001. Many of the travel-selling jobs available now are in call centres anyway. And I don't really like retail travel AKA travel agency work. I always preferred to work behind the scenes. Because of all of this and my years and years as a stay-at-home mom, I basically have zero work experience. Lots of skills (oodles of skills) but none of them marketable.

3. I don't have childcare (this one is HUGE). There's a really good afterschool program associated with the kids' school. I'm not sure they have any space left, though. If they do have space, I can't afford to take it until I have a job... and I can't get a job until I find childcare.

4. I'm not even sure I want a job. I hate all the office politics and inherent headaches that go with working for someone else.

Basically, I don't really know what I want.

What to do... what to do?

Any advice, oh wise ones?

.....

7 comments :

tyketto said...

I hear you. My little one is in preschool three full days this year (whoo hoo) and the older is in 1st grade. I told my husband - the only way I can actually work again is wait until #2 is in school full-time in two years and then find a job in the school system. Seriously, I would be a lunch lady or school aide if need be because I would have school holidays and summer's off with the kids. Way better than an office job any day of the week. Good luck! Beth

Katie said...

Oh man, I've been thinking about this for a while and it's not even in my immediate future. How do people figure all this out?

Mad said...

Just get a resume out there and see what happens. It's all what-ifs 'til then.

scrappysue said...

oh mel, you and i are in EXACTLY the same place right now, with the exception that i have been at home almost TWENTY years. TWENTY YEARS!!! i'm going to email you, but all i can say is, don't be in a rush. your boys will be gone from elementary school sooner than you think. VOLUNTEER, go on all the field trips, VOLUNTEER some more, THEN get a paid job.

Sass E-mum said...

ALL job hunting takes practice. If I have any advice to give, it's to treat all interviews and job applications as practice for the real thing. It might take a while, but you'll learn a lot about what you want, who you want to work with and what YOU will accept, along the way.

Any money, what you say you want now, won't necessarily be what you want in the end.

And don't worry about the childcare. It'll work itself out. Honest.

Elaine A. said...

This will be me in a couple of years, wanting to go back in some facet but now sure how to work it out. Don't they know that there are so many of us moms out there that need p/t work? Good luck in your search - I hope you find something that fits you and your life right now.

Ami said...

You putting this all out there reminds me why, when I finally do have children, I want to be in a position to continue working from home. This is one of those things that sucks for women (and occasionally men). If we choose to stay home with our kids, we miss out on opportunities to advance our careers, which makes it that much more difficult to get a job when we decide we're ready to re-enter the job market.

I think Scrappysue has a good point, though. If you're not sure what you want to do, or if you even really want to go back to work, why not volunteer? You'll be doing something with your time while the boys are at school AND continuing to build your marketable skill set. Good luck!