July 18, 2008

Movie Game Thing - Kids' movies

A few months ago, quite a few bloggers put together this movie game at their blogs. It was super fun... so here's my first attempt at it. I expect it might not go perfectly since there are so few people at home in bloggyville these days... but I just decided, on a whim, to go for it...

Okay...

So here are some quotations from my favourite movies for kids... That's right: kids' movies. So pick a quotation and guess what movie it's from in the comments. One guess per person... No googling. When I get correct guesses, I'll edit the post to include the correct answer & the name of the guesser. Okay? Ready?

1. His destructive programming is taking effect. He will be irresistibly drawn to large cities where he will back up sewers, reverse traffic signs and steal everyone's left shoe.

***Lilo and Stitch.*** Candy guessed right!


2. You are the twelfth in a long line of governesses who have come here to look after my children since their mother died. I trust you will be an improvement on the last one. She stayed only two hours.

***The Sound of Music.*** Elaine guessed right!


3. Character 1:[ramming breakfast into character 2's mouth] No time to talk. Now remember, it's your first day of trainin', so listen to your teacher and no fightin', play nice with the other kids, unless, of course, one of the other kids wanna fight, then you have to kick the other kid's butt.
Character 2: But I don't wanna kick the other kid's butt.
Character 1: Don't talk with your mouth full. Now let's see your war face.
[Character 2 looks at him with mouth full of porridge]
Character 1: Ooh, I think my bunny slippers just ran for cover. Come on, scare me, girl!
Character 2: Arrrgh!
Character 1: Aha! That's what I'm talking about! That's my tough-looking warrior girl! Now go out there and make me proud!

***Mulan.*** Mia's Mamma


4. Granny: It appears the soot sprites are hard at work.
Girl: What are they? you mean those black little fuzzy things? that fly around the house and disappear upstairs?
Granny: Yes, they breed in very old, empty houses, building invisible nests, and turning everything into dust. I could see them too, when I was a very small child. That the two of you are both able to see them makes me very glad.

***My Neighbour Totoro.*** This one goes to Meg.


5.

From Kensington to Billingsgate
One hears the restless cries!
From ev'ry corner of the land:
"Womankind, arise!"
Political equality and equal rights with men!
Take heart! For Missus Pankhurst has been clapped in irons again!

No more the meek and mild subservients we!
We're fighting for our rights, militantly!
Never you fear!

So, cast off the shackles of yesterday!
Shoulder to shoulder into the fray!
Our daughters' daughters will adore us
And they'll sign in grateful chorus
"Well done! Well done!
Well done Sister Suffragette!


***Mary Poppins.*** Well done, Sass!


6. Grandfather: [Girl starts sniffing the coat he is wearing] My dear, what are you doing?
Girl: Making a memory.
Grandfather: Making a memory?
Girl: All my life, when I'm quite grown-up I will always remember my grandfather and how he smelled of [smells his jacket again] tobacco and peppermint.
Grandfather: Smelled of tobacco and peppermint.[starts chuckling]Well, I'll tell you what. I take the peppermint for my indigestion and as for the tobacco [looks around] to make your grandmother mad.

***The Parent Trap.*** Mad guessed it! But it's not the Lindsay Lohan one - it's the original with Haley Mills (Sorry Scrappysue).


7. You know, not everybody likes onions. [pause] CAKES! Everybody loves cakes! Cakes have layers! ... You know what else everybody likes? Parfaits. Have you ever met a person, you say, "Let's get some parfait," they say, "Hell no, I don't like no parfait"? Parfaits are delicious.

***Shrek.*** Guessed by Scrappysue and Tyketto.


8. Without even thinking about it, I used to be able to fly. Now I'm trying to look inside myself and find out how I did it.


9. Everything. OK! I'll talk! In third grade, I cheated on my history exam. In fourth grade, I stole my uncle Max's toupee and I glued it on my face when I was Moses in my Hebrew School play. In fifth grade, I knocked my sister Edie down the stairs and I blamed it on the dog... When my mom sent me to the summer camp for fat kids and then they served lunch I got nuts and I pigged out and they kicked me out... But the worst thing I ever done - I mixed a pot of fake puke at home and then I went to this movie theater, hid the puke in my jacket, climbed up to the balcony and then, t-t-then, I made a noise like this: hua-hua-hua-huaaaaaaa - and then I dumped it over the side, all over the people in the audience. And then, this was horrible, all the people started getting sick and throwing up all over each other. I never felt so bad in my entire life.

***The Goonies.*** Yay, Mad! This was my favourite movie when I was a kid. Edited to add: I missed Katie! She guessed it first. Sorry, Katie!


10. Hi. Welcome to the future. San Dimas, California, 2688. And I'm telling you, it's great here. The air is clean. The water's clean. Even the dirt... is clean. Bowling averages are way up. Mini-golf scores are way down. And we have more excellent waterslides than any other planet we communicate with. I'm telling you, this place is great. But it almost wasn't. You see, 700 years ago the Two Great Ones ran into a few problems. So now I have to travel back in time to help them out. If I should fail to keep these two on the correct path, the basis of our society will be in danger. Don't worry. It'll all make sense. I'm a professional.

***Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.*** Sass gets it, again! Well done.



There you go. Good luck!

Remember... One guess per person & no googling.

Whee.

.....

20 comments :

Sass E-mum said...

Well YOU are worth waiting for.

This is tough. There's a lot I don't recognise and I'm not going to google it.
1. Wall-E (wild guess, I've not seen the movie).
2. Nanny McPhee (the Emma Thompson film - not sure I've got the name right)
3. Not a clue
4. Nada
5. Mary Poppins
6. This one passed me by.
7. And this one.
8. Peter Pan
9. Don't think I'm winning here.
10. Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure? (It's my last best hope.

Elaine A. said...

I was gonna guess The Sound of Music for #2 but that's probably wrong. #7 Sounds familiar but I cannot place it.

Sass E got the rest of my guesses...

Reluctant Housewife said...

Sass, you're right on #5 and #10.

Elaine, you're right on #2.

Yay! Good guessing, ladies.

Katie said...

Fun! The one I know for sure, the one with a quote from one of my all-time favorite movies... #9 is the Goonies. But where's the Princess Bride?

Mad said...

#9: The Goonies. In fact, it's the very same segment I quoted when I did the movie quiz back a few months ago.

Mad said...

Doh! Katie got it already. How about The Parent Trap for #6.

scrappysue said...

#6 is parent trap - the lindsay lohan one when she was a cute 11 year old and untouched by hollywood.

scrappysue said...

#7 is shrek - the first one! i love that line! whenever anyone says onion in this house, i always reply "onions have layers - OGRES have layers!!!" then they groan lol

scrappysue said...

aw crap - i overdid it. see? you go away and come back and i get all carried away. sorry :(

Sass E-mum said...

I know the feeling, Sue. Reluctant has that effect on me too.

Woohoo. 2 out of 10. I's is so smart.

tyketto said...

Number 7 - Shrek. It's Donkey talking to him as they are walking through a field on their way to rescue the princess so that Lord Farquart (spelling?) will give him his swamp back - (no - I haven't seen the movie very much).

Beth

scrappysue said...

back again, but not to guess (altho sorely tempted!) just wanted to make sure you don't miss out on my latest giveaway!

Reluctant Housewife said...

Katie - you're so right! How could I miss the Princess Bride? Yeesh! I also missed Kung Fu Panda. What's up with that?

Have you seen Kung Fu Panda? It's spectacular. Cutest. Movie. Ever. And awesome in all it's awesomeness. Skadoosh!

Working mum said...

I only knew ones that have already been guessed! But I'm going for no.8 is "Hook".

Anonymous said...

#1 is Lilo and Stitch. The bad guy is talking about Stitch.

Candy

Reluctant Housewife said...

Working Mum - Nope!

Candy - Yes! I love that line.

Mia's Mama said...

# 3....Mulan?

fun game!

Elaine A. said...

Yay! I got one, I am so excited!!

FTG Meg said...

Hi! I'm late to the game, but I believe #4 is My friend (or is it neighbor?) Totoro. Love, love, love that movie.

Lulu said...

Meg - You're absolutely right! Yay!