May 30, 2008

Thirty-three Years Ago Today

A mommy blogger was born!


Um... Yeah, that would be me.

I don't have a baby picture to share (a blogger without a baby picture of themselves on their birthday? Isn't that a bit like a surgeon without a scalpel? Pooh Bear without his honey? A taxi driver without his cab?)

This is the oldest picture of me I have:

Yes, graduating from high school. This was me.
I'm wearing my mom's pearls.

The style for grad write-ups (for the yearbook) when I graduated was to string together a bunch of "rememberies" - little phrases that would recall moments from high school. Want to read mine? It says: "Remember: Boating bruises from the great ship "Jaunty Carl". Climbing Pickwauket Mountain. Wading in the Mud Flats with good friends MY, JW and LM. Sharing a mind... and my cryptic comments that no one will ever understand. "Hello Polly!!"

Yup. I was that much of a geek. Who knows where "Hello Polly!!" comes from? Tell ya what... The person who comes up with the best quotation from the same people who brought us the "Hello Polly!!" of my grad write-up will win a crocheted eyeball toy of some description. The winning quotation will be chosen by me, based on which one is my favourite. The eyeball toy will be designed and created by me and sent to you.

This is what a crocheted eyeball toy looks like.

Your eyeball toy will be different, though, because I'll be deciding what it should look like when I make it. But it'll have a big eyeball, just like this guy. Okay?

And, "cryptic comments that no one will ever understand." Hun? What am I talking about exactly? I really have no idea. I'm not cryptic at all. At least, not now. Now, every stray thought that comes into my head makes it out of my mouth; often without the benefit of a filter.

And isn't thirty three a great number? 33. I've always like threes. There.... that's kind of cryptic, no? "I've always liked threes." I'm obviously a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. Yup. That's me. No one will ever understand my cryptic comments.

And I tend to babble. Have you noticed?


But I'm 33 today. So happy my birthday everybody!

.....

18 comments :

smtwngrl said...

Happy Birthday! Your yearbook reminiscing makes me want to get mine out and see what strange things I recorded. I think it's funny how I'm always so sure that I'll remember exactly what I meant/said/did forever, and then a few years (or months) down the road I'm wondering why I wasn't more specific/didn't write it down/didn't take a picture...Good to know I'm not the only one.

Sass E-mum said...

Happy birthday! What a fab photo. Those moody blue backgrounds seem to be in grad photos everywhere.

As you know, I love your eyball crochets so I have to make a play for this prize, though I have no idea of the meaning behind 'hello Polly'.

However, here's one for when the conversation is just too tedious to continue,

'Look! There's Madonna'

Works everytime with Recaro.

Elaine A. said...

Well Happy Birthday!!

You are now the same age as moi! 33 is a pretty cool number. I always like 2 of the same number together.

You are a cryptic mystery enigma because I am really wanting an eyeball toy but now quite sure what we need to do here to get one! : )

Hope you have a great birthday!!

Amanda said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Love the pic and I so wish I had some idea of what the Polly thing is all about. I guess that's another one I will lose. That's okay. I'm sure you will have another crochet toy contest.

Sass E-mum said...

No clarification necessary.

If everyone else is a bit confused and I'm the only one to have a go, please can I win the competition. Please;)

Beck said...

Happy birthday.
And "To JW. YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID."

scrappysue said...

sass - i'm going to have a go too! surely that toy has my name on it, because i'm going to see madonna too?

y'know madonna buddies? even tho it won't be the same day, same town, same concert. but still - madonna.

oh! happy birthday - you haven't changed a bit and as a whole pre-teen older than you, i suddenly feel very old...

google alerts STILL not working. what a waste of time they are!

Gorilla Bananas said...

I don't blame you for being reluctant. Females gorillas would go nuts if they had to be housewives.

Gerbil said...

Um, was Polly pining for the fjords???

Happy birthday!

David said...

Happy Birthday! I hope it was amazing day for you and the fam!

Crochet Diva said...

Happy Birthday! :) Love the eyeball, its so cute. :)

Katie said...

Happy Birthday! You may not have baby pictures but at least you do have one at graduation -- I'm the second kid in my family so I think they forgot the camera a lot.
I have no idea what "Hello Polly!" means but I already have one of your way awesome eyeball aliens so I'm out of the running anyway. Maybe you can help me with some of my cryptic yearbook entries sometime!

Janette said...

Happy Birthday to YOU!!!!

Mad said...

Look at you so cute and young. I can think of nothing clever. All I can do is crib the famous:

"Hello Polly,
Well, Hello Polly
It's so nice to have you back where you belong.
You're lookin' swell, Polly,
I can tell Polly
You're still crowin', you're still gorwin', you're still goin' strong."

SaraLynn said...

Happy Birthday!

Quirky said...

Happy Birthday! Isn't it funny how we were just sure that high school was the MOST.IMPORTANT.TIME.EVER? No other time in your life could have possibly meant as much as what was going on when you wrote those criptic words. Riiiiiight. I look back on those times and realize now that I was such a dork!

Anyway, Happy Birthday!

THE MOM BOMB said...

I have to share that we have THE SAME BIRTHDAY! Are you my separated at birth twin? Oh no, that's right . . . you're 33 (envious sigh).

Don Mills Diva said...

Happy birthday to you!