May 21, 2008

Paragraphs and Stuff

So, I've noticed a marked difference between the blogs of real writers and my own. The real writers actually write - their posts are well thought out, carefully worded, intelligent and long... You know, with paragraphs and stuff. I, on the other hand, am simply playing. My posts are short, picture filled and jokey. It might be fun, but I don't think it can be called writing. Not much for content, am I. I read the real writers' blogs with interest... with a touch of envy... and just a bit of hero worship. Hero worship is a bad habit of mine. I tend to think other people are universally more accomplished than me; and, worse, I let that intimidate me. People? Kind of scare me.

I've always been shy. Well, that's not true. My mother tells me that I made friends with ease when I was a small child. It was when I started school that the shy thing kicked in. Starting in grade one, I remember feeling ashamed whenever people noticed me. I developed a "don't look at me, please," attitude. I was quiet. I hung back. I didn't assert myself. In my teens and twenties, my shyness intensified. I would almost describe it as a social phobia. Speaking to new people, or in class, or to people I didn't know very well (speaking to anyone who wasn't immediate family or a close friend, really) would induce panic. My heart rate would go up, I'd blush, I'd feel warm and shaky, I'd feel nauseous and I'd want to run away. It was not a good thing. Now, at the notthatoldbutnotyoungeither age of (almost) 33, I've managed to work past most of my shyness. I am comfortable in my own skin and able to speak up in company without dying of embarrassment. I've finally come to the conclusion that, maybe - just maybe, I might have something to offer; I might be just as worthwhile as everyone else. I'm even able to relish a bit of attention on my blog... But that makes sense, I've always been more comfortable expressing myself in writing than face-to-face or, god forbid, over the phone. I hate the phone!

Possibly because of my shyness, or maybe just because I actually am a bit left of "normal", I've never felt like I fit in. Let's just say that I've never been one to jump on any of the passing bandwagons, waving a flag that reads, "I fit in here." So, I'm surprised to find "my people" among the mommy bloggers of the internet. Mommy bloggers are often funny, articulate, intelligent, creative types who are looking for an outlet for all their fabulousness in between all the dishes, laundry and diaper changes. They're like me*. It's great. Here comes the bandwagon, just let me get my flag.

I might never be a writer. In truth, I'll probably never be a writer, but I'm okay with that because, for now, I can proudly call myself a mommy blogger.


*Shy reaction I am having right now: I dare to call myself "funny, intelligent and creative" in writing (well, pixels anyway) where anyone can read it and scoff? Scary stuff. Yikes!

.....

12 comments :

JaimeM said...

I am so with you. Love your blog and the fact that you just keep it real. Here's to Mommy-blogging! :)

Janette said...

Found you blog via Sue's blog.

I see your from Canada! WOO HOO! What part? I live in Ontario, Canada. Near Niagara Falls!

Cute blog BTW. Have a wonderful day!

Janette

Working mum said...

So glad you're a mommy blogger! I love your blog. Blog on!

Sass E-mum said...

All bloggers are writers - some of the good ones get paid for it, but I like to remember that not all of them do. I'm also in awe of those who put together regular posts which have something important to say AND make me laugh.

As for those incredible women who craft (that's you, crochet-head) and can also communicate how funny their children are (oops, that's you too), those are the ones I envy.

How's that for a bit of bloggy love?

Katie said...

Nice post! Well thought out, carefully worded, intelligent and long with paragraphs and everything... Hey, look who's a REAL writer!

Nicole said...

I stumbled across your blog a while back while reading comments on Suburban Turmoil. I have been a lurker up until now but today’s post has prompted me to (finally) comment.

You are far too hard on yourself. Your blog is funny and interesting and thoroughly readable (and I’m not just saying that because you’re also Canadian).

The Nag said...

The titans of the blogosphere can really intimidate. Just enjoy what you're doing. You're posting original material and your personality really shines through (unlike myself who just reposts links to other people's original content).

David said...

I so enjoy your blog and find you have an great "voice". You are so a writer! I can show you drivel and dravel and what not, your posts are so far from that. Plus you write from the heart!

Gerbil said...

Blog on, you. I for one like your blog so much that I struggle with a stoopid Motorola Q and keys that are smaller than my freaking pores so I can read it since my 'real' computer is on sabbatical. (aka its toast)

scrappysue said...

i agree with sass and nicole. we are ALL writers. i have the same thoughts sometimes - i'm just putting up pics and funny little anecdotes, but that's writing too! and it must be ok, coz we all visit with one another and enjoy each other's company. if you think you're funny, then you ARE funny! it doesn't matter what we think (but i think you're funny btw). BMWs (blogging mummy writers) UNITE!!!!!

Amanda said...

I think you are a fabulous writer. What about that one post about all of the hairstyles? That was some SERIOUS writing.

I find it hard to believe that you are shy. You seem so outgoing on your blog. I guess the computer gives you the freedom to be that way.

I think you would make a fabulous writer. And I think your blog is the perfect venue, right now.

Elaine A. said...

I don't care how you write it but it's awesome and I will keep reading as long as you post it.

Yeah for Mommy Bloggers!