May 14, 2008

It's in the Details...

I read an article today that said that good writing is all in the details. While I was reading the article, I was sitting in my kitchen, at a small table in the corner, while enjoying a cup of coffee; my second cup of the day. My coffee was in a mug with a picture of the hospital in which I was born. The mug was purchased for my husband, who was also born in that hospital, by his mother when the hospital was imploded to make way for a new police station. The hospital hadn't been used for years and was derelict. It was covered in elaborate graffiti art, not just tags, but beautiful, carefully thought out works of art. It must have been dangerous to create the images, since they were huge and reached so far up the sides of the building. There were also many broken windows and, apparently, the inside was extremely dangerous, with holes in the floors, missing staircases and broken glass everywhere. But I was never inside. Well, not since a tour with school when I was very small, while the hospital was still in operation. It was good that they tore it down but it was a bit of a shame to destroy all the graffiti, which I loved. The sun shone in (to the kitchen where I was reading the article about sharing details with readers to broaden their experience and to capture their interest) as I sat sipping my hot beverage. It was bright and warm. I thought about details and which ones I would share with my readers. I stopped thinking and merely sat, enjoying a rare moment of solitude. I was still in my pyjamas, pink cotton bottoms and a green long-sleeved t-shirt that was soft to the touch. It was very comfortable. I was very comfortable.

The article concluded by saying that writers should also be careful not to share too many details.

Oops.

.....

6 comments :

Alexis Jacobs said...

Cute post :)

scrappysue said...

very cute! you go on sharing - it's all good!!! (she said, as she sat her computer, when she really should have been putting the rice on for dinner; AFTER going to the loo, coz she was busting!)

Amanda said...

I actually enjoyed the part about the hospital.

Sass E-mum said...

Wow. Wish I'd read this post before commenting on your last one.

Elaine A. said...

I wish I had some coffee and my pjs were still on.
: )

Quirky said...

hee hee! I like the details. Sometimes I get so into the details that I forget the point that I was trying to make. (Of course, sometimes I forget the point that I was trying to make without the details too).

Like now, for example, because I'm sure that there was a point to this comment somewhere...