April 7, 2008

Sunday Nature Hunt

Earlier in the week, Hubby and I were talking longingly of a trip to Europe. "Don't even tempt me," I said, "because I would book that in a second! I wish we could."

Buddy was sitting next to me on the couch, half listening to Hubby's and my conversation, half playing Super Mario Galaxy. He said, "I wish I could go on a nature hunt." His voice was thick with longing and defeat... as if a nature hunt would be too wonderful to imagine and could never happen for him.

Hubby and I stopped to laugh then I promised Buddy that, this weekend, we would go on a nature hunt. It was, apparently, a dream come true for him.

As per my usual M.O., I have lots of pictures to share.

Buddy starting out.


Us.
Notice the plastic bag I'm holding.
It's for collecting the nature we're hunting.


Some people passed and let the boys pat their dogs.
See how both boys and both dogs are excited?


The trail to the Beaver Pond.


Pretty light & shadow.


Buddy found some burrs.
See them? The little round, brown things.


Monkey and his shadow.


A monkey in nature.


See where the snow has melted over the stream?


Me and hubby.


The beaver pond hasn't melted yet.


We saw some ducks.
Do you see them? They're walking on the snow.
The beaver must still be hibernating.
They do that, don't they?


Great Canadian snow ducks.


The boys, me, and my chins.

We had a beautiful day. It was warm and slushy and melty. It was the first day we've had that felt like spring.

.....

14 comments :

Becoming Me said...

What a sweet family day

Don Mills Diva said...

Aww - how great a mom are you for making his DREAM come true? Cute pics!

Kelley said...

I love the pictures. You make your area look very pretty.

Amanda said...

You are the best self picture taker, ever. That Beaver pond looked more like a little brook to me. Maybe the pond part was covered. Anyway, fun times for Buddy and Monkey. You deserve a 'Best Mom' award.

Geggie said...

Lovely, sounds like fun!!

Sass E-mum said...

Beautiful.

Great to see you guys are doing your bit for Gore Tex! We had snow here this weekend. S'all gone now.

SaraLynn said...

How fun! I love the pic of the boys and the dogs, and the pic of you and your hubby came out great!

(Isabella likes Super Mario Galaxy too!)

Beck said...

Poor boy, wanting a nature hunt so hopelessly! You're such a good mom to be such a good sport.

Casdok said...

Wonderful photos such an impressive blue sky with the snow.

Elaine A. said...

Well, I am glad that it felt like Spring because it certainly doesn't look like it to this Texan!!

Looks like you had fun on your nature hunt!

Barb said...

looks just like a day I would love spending with my family.... thanks for sharing all your fun with us.... and I don't see any double chins!!!!!

Mum-me said...

Sounds like a fun time with the family. Amazing how simple things like a 'nature hunt' walk can be so exciting to children.

It's lovely that the day felt like spring, but um..... that really, really looks like mid-winter to me! (But then, we don't get snow during our winter.)

Liz@thisfullhouse.com said...

The was the best nature hunt, ever - thanks for sharing some really awesome photos!

scrappysue said...

i know you're probably sick of the snow right now, but we never get snow like that (or snow at all for that matter!) and i think those photos are just beautiful and i know your boys must have had a lovely family day.