April 14, 2008

Quotable Twain

Whenever I need a good quotation, I turn to Mark Twain.



Here are my top ten favourite Twain Quotations:

1. What would men be without women? Scarce, sir, mighty scarce.

2. I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

3. Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.

4. Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

5. I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did. I said I didn't know.

6. Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.

7. I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet place and kill him.

8. Familiarity breeds contempt - and children.

9. It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

10. Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen.

Do you have a favourite quotation? Or a favourite Quotable person?

.....

12 comments :

Tirzah said...

Those are great! It makes me want to look up more of his quotes!

Mad said...

Well, Oscar Wilde is my favourite quotable person. To whit:

"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between."

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months."

"I always like to know everything about my new friends, and nothing about my old ones."

"Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious."

"I am not young enough to know everything."

"All that I desire to point out is the general principle that life imitates art far more than art imitates life. "

"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much."

Must stop now.

Favourite quote ever? Dorothy Parker: "brevity is the soul of lingerie."

As for Twain and #9. I wonder what he would have thought of blogging.

Quirky said...

I love me some good Mark Twain. I may steal a couple of these myself...

jubilee said...

#8 and #9 are among my favorites, but I had no idea that Mark Twain had said them both! Boy, learn somethin' new every day.

The other quote I love, but I do not know who said it first: The axis of the universe does not run through the center of your head.

Kinda gets lost on a six year old, though. BG

SaraLynn said...

Great post!
The ones I like the best are # 1,3,9 and 10.

Hope you are ahving a great day!

Elaine A. said...

My Dad always says #2 - he loves that quote.

I like Benjamin Franklin - I think he was wise and funny at the same time, which I think is awesome.

scrappysue said...

love #9 - never knew that was twain tho! i love ralph waldo emerson, eleanor roosevelt - 'no-one can make your feel inferior without your consent'. oprah and maya angelou of course - too many to list, altho i love 'children are just little people with less life experience'. not really a quote, but i love it.

Sass E-mum said...

I like Dorothy Parker - not that I've managed to shoehorn one of her quotes into conversation yet. Whenever I hear a man say women aren't funny, I think of her...

You can drag a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Women and elephants never forget.

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.

If all the young ladies who attended the Yale prom were laid end to end, no one would be the least surprised.

It serves me right for keeping all my eggs in one bastard.

All I need is room enough to lay a hat and a few friends.

Becoming Me said...

I love those quotes. Mark Twain had such amazing wit.

Buncha Blue-Eyed Monkeys said...

These are some great ones!!

womaninawindow said...

#8 and #10. And nakedness is always fun to consider...

Amanda said...

Love this post. I'm always quoting someone but I never know who said it.