April 15, 2008

Making Soup

I don't like to cook. The only dish I make that is in any way special is my chicken soup. We were all under the weather this week so it was the perfect opportunity to make it.

Here's my recipe... The secret ingredient is ginger. Oh, and love. Ya gotta add the love.

Food photography is not my forte so bear with me and my bad, bad pics... K?

First step: Roast a chicken. I stuff mine with celery and onion and put some salt, pepper, and various herbs on it. This time I used Thyme, Italian Seasoning (which was a Christmas gift from my mother-in-law - I would normally use Oregano only), and I added some Rosemary as well. I baste it every 30 minutes until it looks done. (I'm not very scientific about cooking).


Step two: Make broth. Put the bones in a pot, cover with water, throw in a quartered onion, some fresh ginger (I use about a table spoon-sized amount - I chop a chunk off of the ginger, peel it, chop it into largish pieces and toss it in), two cloves of garlic (cut into chunks), some celery (two stalks should do it), some thyme, some pepper, whatever other spices float your boat and bring it to a boil. As soon as it boils, turn it down to low and let it simmer for a few hours.


Step 3: Strain the broth - get all those bones and chunks o' stuff outta there.

Step 4: Chop a buncha veggies. I use carrots, celery, onions, and potatoes. Chopped in chunky pieces. This was a small soup so I used 3 carrots, 4 small potatoes, 5 small stalks of celery and 3 onions. For a bigger soup I'd use more.


Step 5: Throw them all in the pot. Add chunky pieces of chicken. Bring to boil.


Step 6: Add rice. For a small soup 1/2 a cup. For a bigger soup 1 cup. I like Jasmine rice.


Step 7: Once it boils, turn it down to low and let simmer until veggies are cooked.

Step 8: Serve and enjoy!


I also made an at-home cold remedy tea - It's a mixture of fresh lemon, ginger, chamomile tea, green tea, ginseng tea, and honey. Very good for you. Tastes good too.

.....

5 comments :

Becoming Me said...

Homemade chicken soup is one of the best things on the planet.

Gerbil said...

i make a chicken soup in the crockpot - takes two days but mmmmmmmmm. love me some chicken soup.

Sass E-mum said...

I love rice in soup. But I never think to do it myself. I'll have to remember next time. This looks so tasty.

SaraLynn said...

oh this looks so good! i bet it warmed you right up too. I thought your pictures were very good :)

hope you are all better!

scrappysue said...

i love the shot of the rice going in! oh and i can feel the love too. bon appetite! hope ur feeling better soon.