March 5, 2008

Results! Inspired by the Diva.

I recently received an email survey from my wireless provider. I decided to do the nice thing and fill it out (dirty little secret: I actually love filling out surveys). The survey wanted to know whether or not I loved my wireless provider and if I wanted to go steady with them (circle Y for yes, N for no or NS for not sure). I informed them that I didn't really love them more than the other wireless providers and that I would be willing to date around if they didn't meet my expectations.

Then I came to the section where they gather demographics. They wanted to know whether I'm female or male (well, I don't own a jock strap, if that's what you mean), what age category I fall into (never you mind!), and which province I come from. The choices for province looked like this:

  • British Columbia
  • Alberta
  • Saskatchewan
  • Manitoba
  • Ontario
  • Quebec
  • Newfoundland and Labrador
  • Nova Scotia
  • PEI
  • Other: ____________
I read this list a few times. I doubted my sanity. I counted the items. "Other", plus nine provinces. NINE provinces. Now, for those of you who are not familiar with Canadian geography, there are TEN provinces and three territories in Canada. And my province was the one that was missing. I hope we're not being phased out!

So, inspired by Don Mills Diva's recent McDonalds experience, I sent an email:

Hello,

You neglected to include New Brunswick in the list of provinces for the question: "Which province are you from?"

Canada only has 10 provinces and 3 territories, is it actually too difficult or space-inefficient to include them all? Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, NEW BRUNSWICK, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon, the Northwest Territories, and Nunavut.

Not including my province in your survey did not improve my opinion of my wireless provider.

Reluctant Housewife


And this morning, despite the snarkiness of listing all of Canada's provinces and territories, I got a reply:

Dear Reluctant Housewife,

Thank you very very much for your email about our recent survey for [your wireless provider], and our omission of New Brunswick from the map.

It is with considerable embarrassment, that we sincerely apologize! The error was NOT [your wireless provider's] fault, it was us.

Thanks to your email, we've now fixed it!

By the way, New Brunswick is very important to Ipsos-Reid....we have an office in St. John!

With best wishes for a terrific day,

Sincerely,

Gail Cowling
Vice-President
Ipsos Reid


Reluctant Housewife - Putting NB on the map since 2008.

(The power of snotty complaint emails. It's a beautiful thing.)


The Great White North, home of the beaver (and most Canadians).

.....

12 comments :

Mad Hatter said...

That might explain why my wireless coverage is so shitty.

Don Mills Diva said...

You are awesome! I so happy to hear that I helped you join the revolution - rock on girl!

SaraLynn said...

That is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Lol...now we just have to get people educated about how Saint John, New Brunswick is always spelled out, never abbreviated...but possibly that's asking too much. Way to go you!

Amanda said...

Look how little it is. I don't know if it should really count :)

SaraLynn said...

Thanks for the fudge recipe!!! Hope your apartment hunt is coming along. :)
Maybe you can call an agency in the new city to see if they have any advice???

Jennifer said...

The power of writing a letter. Good for you!

Desperate Housewife said...

I live in New Brunswick. The tourists don't know we exist, either.

Sass E-mum said...

Blimey - I'm sorry to say I had no idea Canda was such a tidy country. Lovely straight lines. Makes you wonder how it's possible to miss out New Brunswick - even it is a wee bit small.

Lorie said...

Look at you and your survey changing ways!

Renée aka Mekhismom said...

I love it. Glad that it worked out. Visiting from SITS.

Veggie Mom said...

This fits in great with the Super-Duper Giveaway that's Goin' On over at my place...please stop by when you have the chance!