March 11, 2008

Celebration time!

Yesterday I was hit with a crushing wall of self-doubt (Crunch! Ouch!). I doubted that I was adequate at anything: writing, blogging, finding apartments, mothering, wife-ing, studenting, you name it. I was convinced that I was bad at everything (boo-hoo-hoo, woe is me, etc...).

Today I got my midterm back, thank you very much! Ninety-eight percent ain't half bad if I do say so myself.


And so I'm back (from outer space I just walked in to find you here with that sad look upon your face... Sorry, random Disco moment - they happen to the best of us). I'm once again disturbingly sure of myself. I like it much better this way, it's much more comfortable.

So we're celebrating the midterm grade and we're celebrating my 50th post. Not a big number, granted, but a nicely rounded one.


Check out dude's yellow outfit.
The difference between him and us? He makes that look good.


Linky love to: Mad Hatter from Under the Mad Hat, Sass E-mum from One Strangely Lush Mother, Amanda from Amanda's Life, SaraLynn from the Happy Baker, and Suburban Correspondent from The More, The Messier (check these ladies out, they are truly fabulous). Thank you all for your replies to my question about the 100 tidbits of information, and also for being interested in me and for continuing to read my little blog .

CC from If I Only Had Super Powers was kind enough to save me from making a total ass of myself. She pointed out that, traditionally, the 100 tidbits post is done when a blogger reaches her 100th post. Good to know! This will give me time to come up with 100 items of interest. I'm sure it'll be a challenge because the truth is that I'm shockingly dull.

But, in honour of my 50th post, and because inquiring minds apparently do want to know, I will offer up 5 tidbits of information all about me. Feel free to ask questions after the presentation.

1. I play the violin and the viola. I started violin in Grade 5 through a school music program. I was offered the opportunity to play the viola in orchestra in grade 8 and jumped at it. I'm not great at either instrument and I haven't picked up my violin much since I graduated from high school (many moons ago). But if you're looking for a violin player who only sometimes plays in tune, who never practices, and who can't sight read music to save her life, then I'm your girl!

2. I don't hate skinny girls. Why do people always assume that chubby girls hate skinny girls? That bugs me. I like myself just fine, thank you very much, and I'm not jealous of those of you who are prettier than me. My self-worth is not that tied up in my looks. I'm not sure how I escaped the self-hatred and constant dieting that some (most?) chubby girls (women, ladies, females, whatever...) impose on themselves but, by some miracle of natural self-preservation, I did.



3. Nerds are my people. I love smart people who take knowledge seriously. I've never been into star trek, or into star anything, really. But I do like video games, graphic novels, sci fi/fantasy novels, and research so I think I qualify as a nerd too.



4. I have a BA in art history with a minor in painting and a diploma in travel/tourism. I've also been taking courses in psychology these past few years. Right now I'm taking a course in Anthropology. I'll probably never stop taking classes. The more I learn, the more I want to learn. There's just so much to know, you know? Next? Sewing. I want to learn to use a sewing machine.

5. I would love to write professionally. I'm intimidated, though. Everyone in the bloggiverse seems to be interested in pursuing a writing career and I think they're all so great. Getting started is a bit scary. I've been applying for things here and there. The hard part is the waiting. It takes 4-6 weeks for most places to get back to prospective writers.

So enough about me. I want to hear about you. I'd like to tag the ladies I mentioned above to tell us all 5 tidbits of information about themselves. I'm really looking forward to learning more about all of you!

Questions? Put-downs? Kudos? Leave a comment. I loves comments!

.....

14 comments :

Amanda said...

I gasped at the horror of you feeling bad about yourself, then breathed a sigh of relief when you started feeling better. I'm pretty sure that my opinion is the only one in the universe that matters (at least I'm sure that's what the husband says) and I say you are fabulous. You totally have it in you to do whatever writing-wise. Maybe not so much with the violin...

Alexis Jacobs said...

I am so glad I met you at the party. I can tell we are going to be great friends. :)

You would do awesome as a writer. You have the humor and flair that people love to read.

Congrats on 50 posts!!

Sass E-mum said...

If I could indulge a little disco moment... I'm feeling the love. Thanks for the name check.

That's a very smart percentage you've got there. It suits you - very self-assured and yet kind of groovy too.

Those facts are enlightening - can I be the drummer in your band? I haven't played since I was 15, and I'm not sure I can keep time, but that shouldn't hold me back.

Beck said...

Smarty pants!
I would love to write, too, but I'm too shy to submit anything. Ah, well. I hope you have lots of success.

SaraLynn said...

Did we happen to run into each other in space??? I am so glad I am not the only that gets the "woe is me" moments. hehe... But I am glad we are both back! I love smart people to, in fact hubby is a smart(nerd) person and when I married him that proved I was smart too! My in-laws are very intelligent, intimidatingly so at times, but they are lovely and since I live to learn, they enjoy teaching.
I would love for you to post a recording of you playing a piece on either the violin or viola. C'mon it would rock! Just a little tune to show us your talent! Mainly, I am jealous because i never learned to play an instrument. I have a feeling I missed out on something very important. Thanks for the shout my way.
**I don't hate skinny girs either!

SaraLynn said...

I forgot to say congrats on the midterm grade...Whoo-hoo!
CONGRATS!!!!

Wani said...

I don't hate skinny girls... I only hate the fact that some people can eat themselves crazy and never gain a pound and others can get fat off of eating one little brownie. But I have come a long way in how I view my body. I think having my second some naturally at home was a good self esteem boost for me. A body that can do that must be awesome (even if it has a little more cellulite and a few extra stretch marks than I'd like).

scrappysue said...

hey! thanks so much for stopping by. loved your videos and tidbits. i might just have to link you! feel free to do the same with me. check back for the easter giveaway coming.....at EASTER!!!

scrappysue said...

ps - congrats on the 98%!!!

jubilee said...

Hey I second the suggestion of a video of you playing the violin! C'mon, don't be shy!

The Piano Wizard Queen said...

Hey... I dont hate skinny girls too (I was one of them way back my college days when I was barely eating and sleeping) but I envy those girls who can eat a lot and not even gain a single pound! I guess I'm one of those girls who has to watch what they eat so as not to gain weight (the reason why I dont want to gain weight is that I find it terribly hard to buy clothes with bigger sizes).

For Saralyn, it's never too late to learn to play an instrument. With Piano Wizard
and Guitar Wizard (which is coming out this fall)
, you can learn how to play the piano or guitar and be able to read notes as well. In a month's time, you would be able to play these instruments. What's even amazing about Piano Wizard and Guitar Wizard is that you can learn how to play virtually any song you like. To know more about Piano Wizard and Guitar Wizard, just visit this website http://www.pianowizard.com/piano_wizard.php

Sass E-mum said...

Just had to add that I don't hate skinny girls.

They do look funny though. Funny skinny legs - how do they stand up. Also how do they fit their vital organs into their skinny little bodies.

He he. They make me laugh.

It's women with curves who look the loveliest.

DaniGirl said...

I think most bloggers are largely insecure about their writing even when they do it well. From the few posts I read, you have a clear voice and know how to use the tools -- so you're doing better than most! ;)

Hmmm, I didn't know there was a rule about when to post the 100 things about me post... or maybe that rule got invented after I posted mine? Anyway, just wanted to say hi and congrats on your 50th post. You'll be writing your 1000th (I reached mine just before Christmas) in no time!!!

SaraLynn said...

Thanks to the piano wizard queen...that is a very cool website!