February 19, 2008

You're not fat.

I don't get it. Why do women seem to feel that they have to be negative about their bodies?

Like at yoga on Sunday. My friend and I were talking about one of the exercises being particularly good for working our stomach muscles and she came out with, "I've been working on mine lately but they're still hidden under a layer of fat."

Ok. Except she's not fat. She's tall and slim and graceful and lovely. Fat? Compared to an 18 year old model maybe. Compared to normal people? Nope. Compared to me? Now that's just funny.

What's up with that?

So ladies, remember: You're not fat. You're fine. Go kiss your reflection in the mirror and be happy.

.....

2 comments :

Sass E-mum said...

Couldn't agree more. I'm going to my mirror right now...

SaraLynn said...

Today's society can be harsh about appearances. It is sad to see young girls worry so much about their body! My daughter, who is 7, is in ballet. I have heard, more than once, these girls talk about their bodies in a negative way. I try hard to teach my daughter the importance of a balanced diet and excercise. It's important to feel comfortable in one's own skin.