February 5, 2008

Sweater Sisters

I think Jen Lancaster and I must be sweater sisters.

The Sweater: Purple argyle from Target.


My Evidence: Why I think Jen might own this sweater too.

Point 1: I know Jen likes Argyle sweaters.

Evidence: From Jennsylvania, July 19/07, "Waiting for Godot.... In a Totally Different Store."
Jen said, "...if we HAD a yellow argyle sweater, I would already own it."
Point 2: I know Jen likes Purple and Pink.
Evidence: From Bright Lights, Big Ass, p. 151.
Jen said, "With its lavender, pink, green, and turquoise stripes, [this skirt] matches almost everything in my closet."
Point 3: I know Jen likes Target and shops there often.
Evidence: From Bright Lights, Big Ass, p. 30.
Jen said, "Recently my Target added a Starbucks and started selling wine, pretty much cementing it as my favorite store on the face of this earth..."

And on p. 33
Jen said, "...I'm on my daily pilgrimage to Target..."
So, case presented and point made. Jen likes argyle, pink and purple, and Target. The sweater is a purple and pink argyle sweater from Target. I see you nodding your head along with my flawless logic. Or perhaps you're nodding to keep the crazy lady happy. Either way you're with me so far.


I think Jen would be interested in this information. Why?

Evidence: From Bright Lights, Big Ass, p. 132.
Jen said, "Yesterday at my temp job I met a woman from one of the company's satellite offices... I noticed she was wearing the exact same piece of jewelry as me. Upon seeing her wrist, I may or my not have exclaimed, 'Hey! We can be bracelet buddies!"
And I think we can all agree, you don't have to leap very far or high to go from being someone's bracelet buddy to being someone's sweater sister.

Jen and me. Sweater sisters. It's a beautiful thing.


And, if you're a wee bit clueless: Who is Jen Lancaster?


I first heard of Jen Lancaster on April 27, 2006 when she was interviewed on one of my favourite CBC radio shows, DNTO
(I googled DNTO archives trying to find the interview but, alas, it's not there. The only information I could find was the date of the broadcast). My husband and I listened and laughed while Jen described her new book, Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomanical, Self-Centered, Smartass, or Why You Should Never Carry a Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office.

And then I promptly forgot all about it (sorry Jen!) until I picked up a copy of Jen's second book, Bright Lights, Big Ass: A Self-Indulgent, Surly Ex-Sorority Girl's Guide to Why it Often Sucks in the City, or Who Are All These Idiots and Why Do They Live Next Door to Me? It caught my eye at the bookstore, and with a title like that I'll bet you can see why. I loved Big Ass so much that, as soon as I finished reading it, I ordered Bitter. And now I'm looking forward to Jen's 3rd book, Such a Pretty Fat: One Narcissist's Quest to Discovery if her Life Makes her Ass Look Big or, Why Pie is Not The Answer, which comes out in May (just in time for my birthday - thanks Jen! You shouldn't have!).

If you haven't read Jen yet, you should start immediately. Her books are laugh-out-loud funny. They have a stylish chick-lit like feel, but these babies are not fictional. In her books, Jen tells us the true story of the ups and downs of her life in Chicago with her husband Fletch (who is adorable), her dogs Maisie and Loki (mischievously adorable), various cats, and a pair of sock monkey pajamas. Jen goes from being a high earning, high status, vice president to being unemployed, to working temp jobs and, finally, to published author, all the while giving her views on everything from neighbors (idiots) to shopping (religious) to mass public transit ("transports the masses"). And the beautiful thing about Jen is that when you're done reading her books and you still want more Lancaster you can click onto her blog, Jennsylvania, and read to your little heart's content.

All this and I don't even plan to ask Jen to pay off one of my lower balance credit card bills. I'm just going to settle for reading Such a Pretty Fat on my birthday.

.....

4 comments :

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

I want to be sweater sisters, too! ;-)

Marinka said...

Good detective work! I think you're absolutely right about Jen owning that sweater. It's weird because I'm reading the Big Ass book now--love Jen, she's hysterical. Although I don't share her fashion sense!

Connie Weiss said...

I have had Bright Lights in my bookcase for a year. I keep meaning to read it but other books keep coming along.

I am going to start this book today!

And I'm going to make my sister go buy it because we are both addicted to Target.

texasholly said...

I sure hope that sweater is still available at Target because I want to join the club! So fun.

Jen is a funny girl. LOVE IT!

Thanks for linking!