February 29, 2008

She might not be smart, but she sure is crafty

Crafty?

Who, me?

I'm new to this craft thing. But, I've been inspired by Jill's great craft blog to share some of my projects with you.

And so, for your viewing enjoyment, here are pictures of some things I've made. Unfortunately most of these pictures were taken using my cell phone, so the quality is not very good.


Crochet

Hats and scarf:
I just finished this hat. It has a peak and a cute pattern:



This hat is made out of silk stuff that a friend gave me. I found it very hard to work with. This is my second attempt to make something out of it. My friend wanted a "spring hat". This is what I came up with:

Terrible picture of me.


Close up of flowers.


This one is my first hat. I think it turned out well:


Scarf (modeled reluctantly by Hubby):



The second hat I made:

Doesn't the black make my head look slimmer?


Toys:
I've made a bunny (for my nephew), an octopus (for my niece), a turtle (for monkey), an alien (for buddy), and a chick. I only have a picture of Alien so far.


Knitting


I haven't completed many knitting projects. I like crochet better. It's much faster and more satisfying.

Knit Bag:

Front


Back

Beanbags:
I've made several. Could only locate 2. The kids love to play with these.


Bead Work

Dragonflies:
I've made several of these, and given some away. They're made of glass beads and are meant to hang in the window to catch the light.




Jewelry:
I also have some earrings and a few more necklaces and bracelets. Some were given away. Some I can't quite locate... They must be in storage. I'm not very good at this yet, someday I'd like to take a class in jewelry making.



I have a really good time crocheting and I've been quite productive at it lately. My next project is a hat for my mother, and one for my mother-in-law. I'm also planning on attempting a child's sweater. Should be fun. Thanks with putting up with all the low quality pictures.

Do you have a favourite craft? What do you think of the knitting vs. crochet debate - is one better than the other?

.....

9 comments :

Amanda said...

First of all, the picture that you didn't like was totally my favorite. I tried to learn to knit. I started a blanket about 4 years ago. It is in the top of the girls' closet hoping to be pulled out and finished one day. I have never learned to crochet. I have made some jewelry, but I never wear it. I love that Homemade by Jill website, but I am nowhere near that level.

Reluctant Housewife said...

No, me neither. Jill is really talented.
You should try crochet... I was making a knit scarf for Buddy and it was going nowhere fast. I'd been working on it for months. Then I learned to crochet (taught myself from a book, it's pretty easy) and it's much faster. I can do a scarf in an afternoon.

SaraLynn said...

I love it! You are very crafty indeed! I like the look of the crochet hats over the knit bag. But, unfortunately, I know neither one. Love the first hat you made, second favorite was the red and black with flowers. I will have to show my daughter your bead work, she will love the dragonflies. Isabella is already into making her own jewelry.
I just read on your comment that you taught yourself how to crochet from a book? I am inspired! I may have to give that a go!

Black is always slimming!!

Desperate Housewife said...

I love the red flower hat!

Don Mills Diva said...

WOW! And you say you're NOT crafty. I am so impressed. I can't crochet and I have been working ont he same knitted scarf for about 2 years now...

Reluctant Housewife said...

Thanks for all your comments. I love comments!
Yes, crocheting is actually quite easy compared to knitting (at least that's been my experience). I'd recommend it.

Sass E-mum said...

Man alive! I was expecting to see some crummy glove puppet. (I judge everyone by my own low crafting skills).

That's fantastic AND prolific. The amazing Jill should watch her back.

People say crocheting is easier, but then I've never managed more than a fancy piece of string. I really like the texture and prettiness of crochet so I'd go with the crocheting.

I'm keeping an eye out for cute socks and gloves. One day I shall show the world how bad my craft is. Ha ha.

Fred The Mole said...

Your Fashion show is great !

If you want to see live pictures of Paris Fashion Week
You go there

http://easyfashion.blogspot.com/

Fred the Mole

Rick Rack Attack said...

I envy anyone who is crafty! I personally stink at crafts. But that’s OK… Stop on over for Confessions of An Apron Queen at http://anapronaday.blogspot.com